The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is a legal authority that offers a food license to Food business operators (FBO) in India. All the FBOs are required to follow all the rules and regulations related to FSSAI for food quality control.
An FBO needs an FSSAI License or Registration and it all relies upon distinct factors like the size of production, managing nature of food business activities, and range of operations. In the FSSAI Registration process, the FBO will get a 14 digit number that needs to be printed on food packages.
FSSAI Registration ensures the security of food products and it is essentially a food safety certificate circulated by the food authority in India. All the manufacturers, traders, restaurants, grocery shops, importers and exporters, etc. are eligible for getting an FSSAI Licence. FSSAI Licensing assures that food products undergo certain quality checks, for the motive of decreasing the cases of adulteration, substandard products.
● Food business operators (FBO) like wholesalers, distributors, suppliers, retailers, food vending establishments, hawkers, clubs, canteens, Dhabas, hotels, restaurants, and storage facilities with an annual turnover of less than Rs.12 lakh, between Rs.12 Lakh- Rs.20 crores or more than Rs.20 crores.
● Small producers manufacturing by itself
● A substitute stall selling food products.
● Businesses involved in selling food at a social or a spiritual conference, other than a caterer.
● Cottage industries associated with food products
● Production or processing units of vegetable oil by the process of solvent extraction and refineries including oil expeller system. With a capacity to provide not more than 100 kg/litre per day (except milk or meat).
● Dairy units, involved in procurement/collection/handling/chilling of milk, having a capacity of not more than 500 litres per day, or up to 2.5 Metric Ton of milk solids annually.
● A slaughtering capacity of not more than 2 large animals or 10 small animals or 50 poultry birds per day.
● Production and processing units of vegetable oil by the process of solvent extraction and refineries including oil expeller unit. With a turnover within Rs. 12 lacs to Rs. 20 crores annually.
● Hotels of 4-star ratings or less or that have been rated 5-star or more.
● Storages having a capacity of less than 50,000 metric tonnes yearly or with a capacity of more than 50,000 metric tonnes.
● All food processing units including re-packers, with a daily capacity of not less than 100 kg/litre to up to 2 metric tonnes.
● 100 % export oriented units involved in food production or processing.
● Every Importer includes the import of food ingredients or additives.
● Caterers working under Central Government or related agencies such as Railways, Airlines and airport, Seaport, Defence, etc.
● All food processing units including re-packers and excluding the grains, pulses & cereals milling units with a capacity of over 2 metric tonnes per day.
● All. Food business operators (FBO) are involved in producing an item of food, additive or its ingredients using some new process or technology, and/or a combination thereof, whose safety has not been established yet by the FSSAI. Or they may not have a history of safe usage. It covers the food articles being introduced in the country, for the first time.
● ISO 8601 – Date and time format
● ISO 20121 – Sustainable events
● SO/IEC 27001 – Information security management
Businesses engaged in food activities are required to apply for a food license which can be of different types based on turnover, the scale of business, and the type of activity.
The Types of FSSAI Food licenses are as follows:
The FSSAI registration is for food business operators (FBOs) who have small-sized businesses or start-ups. They have an annual turnover of less than Rs.12 lakh. Basic registration can be upgraded depending on your business sales graph productivity.
The State FSSAI License is for the FBOs which have medium-size businesses. They have an annual turnover of more than Rs.12 Lakhs or up to Rs.20 crores. The state license can be further upgraded to a central license, all depending on your business sale graph productivity.
The Central FSSAI License is applicable for FBOs which have a large business annual turnover i.e. above Rs.20 crores. It is also required in cases where you need to supply at the government offices or import/export food products.
In this age of information, the consumers have become more alert and informative about the quality of the food which they eat. With the number of diets and increasing healthy eating options, people are required to know as to what they are consuming is not just safe but is of really good quality. More so after the recent controversy with Maggi, are proving the consumers have started to take the food safety standard seriously. Thus, food is proving that they have the FSSAI license, which can give you an added advantage of a solid and an increase in the customer base.
Most of the businesses identify getting an FSSAI license as an expensive, time consuming and inconvenient process of documentation, thus they try to avoid getting the license. But, in reality, the process is not so cumbersome and there are a lot of consultancies that can help you get the license with ease. The actual cost which is required to achieve the license is less than what you will have to pay for it as the penalties if you are caught. It is thus advisable for any businessman to firstly get the license before you can even officially open your business.
One can file the FSSAI application directly with the government. The process is long and requires 60 days to get completed:
FSSAI license validity stretches from 1 to 5 years. According to the FSSAI rules, the food business operator is required to appeal for the renewal of the license in 30 days and it should be made before its expiry. Any FSSAI renewal application filed exceeding the expiry date is required to pay a late fee of Rs.100 per day for each day of delay. So, all food business operators need to track and assure that their FSSAI license is valid at any time.
The FSSAI logo and FSSAI license number are always mentioned on the label of the food package in inverse colour to the background. In the case of various units, the manufacturer or packer, the FSSAI logo and license number of the brand owner must be mentioned on the label of the food package. The addresses of the various units on the label must carry the FSSAI license number. In the case of imported food products, the importer must show the FSSAI logo and FSSAI license number with the name and address of the importer. These may both be pre-printed on the label or attached by a sticker before customs clearance.
The food license allotted has a validity of one year and can be increased to a maximum of 5 years by the food regulatory body. The moment license validity gets expired and the food business operator becomes liable for an FSSAI license renewal. The FSSAI renewal system is manageable and should be taken into account as soon as possible to avoid penalties. FSSAI has released guidelines that state that in 30 days and before the expiry of the license, the food safety registration has to be renewed.
If the FSSAI officials are satisfied with their inquiries. And see that the guidelines of the FSSAI are being adopted thoroughly. Your FSSAI License will get renewed. Again, the maximum period it would be valid for is 5 years.
All Food Business Operators (FBOs) have to comply with the rules and regulations under the FSSAI. FSSAI holds a random investigation of the product. A Food Safety Official has the authority from FSSAI to inspect the working conditions along with the food handling techniques of the operators, associates, and staff.
Thereafter, they determine a level, based upon how compliant the food business is, with the regulations set by the Food Authority, using a checklist. Based on the checklist, the Official registers a level for the FBO as:
Additionally, the Food Official might issue an Improvement Notice, describing the areas or levels that need improvements. If the FBO fails to change these, within a specified time, a Show Cause Notice is sent.
Our main aim is to help those entrepreneurs and businessmen’s legal and regulatory requirements, and be a partner throughout the business lifecycle, offering support at every stage to ensure the business remains compliant and continually growing.
To reach your target
+91 73039 39018
+91 62307 77623
+91 62309 99623